Most importantly, you need to get yourself into a safe place. If required, call 000 to receive help from emergency services.
When it is safe to do so, you should try to collect the following details:
- If another driver is involved, you should swap information with them. Including:
- Address (this is required if you’re not at fault)
- Phone number
- Registration number
- Driver’s licence number (take a picture if possible)
- Their insurance company details
- If there are independent witnesses, you should try to collect their contact details as well.
- Take photos of any damage caused to both cars and their location on the road.
When you are ready, contact us 1300 265 374 (select option 3 from the menu) to lodge your claim and discuss next steps. It always helps to have your policy number handy but you don’t need this to lodge a claim.
Even if you think the accident was your fault, don't admit that you are, or may have been, at fault as this may impact our ability to assess the claim. We'll do an assessment of fault once the claim is lodged and the necessary information is obtained.
If any contact is made with you by the other driver or their insurance company subsequent to you lodging your claim, contact us to let us know or in the case of a phone call being received, let them know that you are insured with us and that we will be looking after the claim and the other party should direct all further questions or enquiries to us.